I have added these pages to my website to show you
some of the common designs in Persian rugs.
This page is devoted to a particular type of Persian rug,
which is so rare, that most folks have never seen or heard of it,
and it is the "Metal" rug. These rugs are incredibly hard to
find and it is only due to my family's direct contacts with the
weavers in Tabriz that I am even able to offer a few of them at a
time. Before I continue though, take a look at the ones I picked out
for this section and we'll go from there. The top pictures are
pictures of the whole rug and the bottom pictures are the close-ups,
where you can see the metal in the rugs.
As you can see in the bottom pictures, the metal fibers are extremely fine
about the thickness of regular thread and they are added to the
entire rug foundation. The weaving process of these type of carpets
is very different from regular rugs in that the entire foundation is
created first and then the pile is added. In normal Persian rugs, the foundation
gets knotted as the weaver creates the pile and the foundation and
pile are basically intertwined. With the metal carpets, it is
very different in that the entire foundation is woven first and then
the pile is added. And the reason for this is that the pile
typically only covers about 30-70% on the rug, meaning that there
are large areas of the rug, where the foundation is left alone
without any pile. The idea is that the pile, which is most often
made of very fine Kurkwool and lots of silk, floats on top of this
shiny background and it looks and feels like no other rug.
If you look at the top pictures, you can see how the pile is quiet
colorful in both rugs and it only a fraction of the rug. These type
of Persian carpets are very high end pieces and some like the round
Tabriz rug even have a silk foundation, which makes them even more
luxurious. Most of the metal rugs are made in Tabriz, but I have
also seen a few Isfahan and Qom metal rugs. I would say that about
90% are made in Tabriz and the rest 10% elsewhere, but due to their
fine quality they are always city rugs rather than tribal carpets.
To make a rug like these, the weavers have to be among the best and
they are so hard to make that I am truly lucky to even get them.
Like I mentioned earlier, it is only thanks to our family's direct
business connections with the rug weavers in Tabriz that I am able
to get some of these rare Persian rugs.
Below are a couple of other examples and then a final word.
The two Tabriz metal rugs
pieces you see here are both large 10x13 pieces with a silk and
metal foundation. Most of the metal rugs tend to be much smaller and
I have only had a small handful of these very large pieces. These
type of rugs are showpieces that are designed for formal rooms or
areas where there is not a lot of traffic. They are perfectly fine
to walk on, but I not recommend them for for places where there is a
lot of food or traffic.
As a final note, let me answer two questions that I often receive
and you be wondering the same thing. No, the metal does not rust
over time and I have seen very old Tabriz rugs (80+ years) with the
metal base and the metal fibers is still intact. Naturally, the
metal will loose some of it's luster over that many decades, but it
stills shines and there have never been any reported cases of it
coming undone or rusting. Also, a have seen a couple of places that
claim that these rugs are made with real gold or silver strands. If
that was the case, I would be at home all day pulling out the fibers
and taking it to a jewelry store. Just imagine how much gold there
would be in one of these large pieces. There might have been some
way to rich person in the Middle East who had one made with gold
just like some palaces have gold faucets, but I'm sorry, there are
no hidden treasures in these metal rugs.
Subject: Metal Persian rugs
Description: 8 minute video about Persian carpets with metal
highlights. In addition to a brief introduction with
pictures, I will explain the unique characteristics of these
rare Persian carpets with an actual example.
see all available Metal rugs, click on the various size sections
I hope that you have enjoyed this article about
the metal rugs and
feel free to look at my other featured rug designs and my website.
As always, I enjoy hearing my visitor's thoughts and experiences, so drop me
a line or two if you like.
Owner, MP Persian Rug Imports
Other Featured Persian Rug Types
& Popular Designs